Kerala Minister Comment on Tribal Womens Brings up the heat
Published under: General Kerala News
23 July 2013
Culture Minister KC Joseph on Monday courted controversy stating that consumption of arrack by expectant tribal mothers was a major cause of death of infants in Attappadi adivasi belt.Seizing on the Congress minister’s statement on the sidelines of a function at Kannur, CPI-M veteran and Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan charged that Mr Joseph was heaping insult on tribal women instead of providing necessary support to the affected people.
“Consumption of arrack is rampant in tribal colonies of Attappadi. Liquor consumption by expectant mothers is one of the reasons for the death of infants. It is important that they shed the habit to maintain their health,” Mr Joseph said.
Significantly, the minister’s statement came close on the heels of the visit of Prime Minister’s principal secretary TKA Nair to Attappadi for an on-the-spot assessment of the situation.
- Kerala Businessman Drove Hummer Into Guard for delay in opening gate
- Chandy: ‘Jayanthi Natarajan’ was not even reachable to party MPs
- National Games: Olympian Preeja will lead Kerala team
- By keeping FCI out of loop, Punjab Offered to supply of Grains Directly to Kerala
- Coir kerala 2015: The fifth edition will begin from Feb. first
- Kerala: Maoists attacked N.H.A.I Office
- First and Final Year BFA Degree Examinations, March 2015