Kerala Minister Comment on Tribal Womens Brings up the heat
Published under: General Kerala News
23 July 2013
Culture Minister KC Joseph on Monday courted controversy stating that consumption of arrack by expectant tribal mothers was a major cause of death of infants in Attappadi adivasi belt.Seizing on the Congress minister’s statement on the sidelines of a function at Kannur, CPI-M veteran and Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan charged that Mr Joseph was heaping insult on tribal women instead of providing necessary support to the affected people.
“Consumption of arrack is rampant in tribal colonies of Attappadi. Liquor consumption by expectant mothers is one of the reasons for the death of infants. It is important that they shed the habit to maintain their health,” Mr Joseph said.
Significantly, the minister’s statement came close on the heels of the visit of Prime Minister’s principal secretary TKA Nair to Attappadi for an on-the-spot assessment of the situation.
- 371 arrested under ‘Operation Suraksha’ In Kerala
- Kerala Government invites tender for free Wi-Fi service project
- Online frauds have pocketed at least Rs 200 crore from Kerala In 2 Years
- Jet Airways announces new schedule in Kerala
- Fort Kochi Boat Accident: 8 people killed as fishing boat crashes into ferry in Kochi
- New terminal at Cochin Airport May Start Next Year : Says Oommen Chandy
- Kerala Blasters issue apology to fans for social media absence