Kerala Minister Comment on Tribal Womens Brings up the heat
Published under: General Kerala News
23 July 2013
Culture Minister KC Joseph on Monday courted controversy stating that consumption of arrack by expectant tribal mothers was a major cause of death of infants in Attappadi adivasi belt.Seizing on the Congress minister’s statement on the sidelines of a function at Kannur, CPI-M veteran and Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan charged that Mr Joseph was heaping insult on tribal women instead of providing necessary support to the affected people.
“Consumption of arrack is rampant in tribal colonies of Attappadi. Liquor consumption by expectant mothers is one of the reasons for the death of infants. It is important that they shed the habit to maintain their health,” Mr Joseph said.
Significantly, the minister’s statement came close on the heels of the visit of Prime Minister’s principal secretary TKA Nair to Attappadi for an on-the-spot assessment of the situation.
- 2.5 million extra voters to vote for upcoming LS Poll
- 15000 SPO to be recruited for LS Polls
- Police to Investigate Indian Mujahideen Links with Kerala
- Gujarat and Kerala Muslims have prospered most in Country
- Akshaya Lottery No. AK-129th Draw
- Eloor Water Supply Scheme Should be continued says High Court
- Kerala Tops in NRI Enrollment for LS Election