MILMA extended a subsidy of Rs 2 for one litre of milk

Published on: 26 Apr, 2013
Published under: Ernakulam District News, General Kerala News

25 April 2013
Kochi

Kerala Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd (Milma) has decided to extend the subsidy of Rs 2 for one litre of milk till May 31 giving relief to 50,000-odd dairy farmers in the Ernakulam Region . The decision was taken at the director board meeting of Milma at Edappally on Wednesday. Milma has been giving the subsidy since October last year. Earlier it was decided to give the subsidy till April 30 but the severe drought prevailing in the state has forced the director board to extend the benefit.

The decision will be beneficial for about 50,000 farmers in the region. As the cattle feed prices have increased considerably, it is difficult for the dairy farmer to survive. The Ernakulam region of Milma has a daily shortage of one lakh litre of milk aday.As per estimates, the total milk production in the district has reached 58,000 litres a day from 42,000 litres. “As a result of price hike of the cattle and cattle feed, the dairy farmers are showing less interest in the field.

As per estimates, the total milk production in the district has reached 58,000 litres a day from 42,000 litres. “As a result of price hike of the cattle and cattle feed, the dairy farmers are showing less interest in the field. Milk contributes 80 per cent of the total sale of Milma, the remaining 20 per cent is contributed by value-added products.

Source – http://newindianexpress.com/cities/kochi/Milma-gives-dairy-farmers-a-breather/2013/04/26/article1561523.ece

Found Useful? Do Share: MILMA extended a subsidy of Rs 2 for one litre of milk:

Leave a Reply

Share Kerala News Online

Kerala Direct News

Check out the latest 2015 news from Kerala State of India. Just Kerala is the dedicated online portal to provide latest and genuine Kerala information. Kerala Live and breaking news, Top Headlines, Top stories, Politics, Movies, Sports news.

Last Updated Kerala News : 22 April, 2024